Legal Question in Disability Law in California

My mother in oxygen 24/7 and is legally blind. She cannot change the regulators on the tanks to go out of her apartment. The company supplying the tanks and her stationary oxygen concentrator has access to battery operated portable concentrators. But they say it is only for people traveling. My mother lives in a senior complex that supplies all meals, but she has to leave the apartment and her stationary concentrator to get meals. The oxygen supplier wants to deny her the portable concentrator. Under the ADA can they refuse her access to this medical devise since her insurance covers portable oxygen with the portable tanks?

Asked on 11/18/13, 7:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless


All she has to do is pay for whatever supplies she wants. It may require she get them from different company. If you are saying she has insurance, then she needs to contact them for authorization of payment. The tank supply company is probably telling you they don't have insurance company authorization.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/13, 1:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in California