Legal Question in Administrative Law in California

I was married in India in 1971 through a religious ceremony. I don't have any documentation on the marriage. Do I need one now and if so how do I get it. I am a naturalized US citizen.

Asked on 9/16/13, 2:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

California Family Code section 308(a) says that a foreign marriage that would be recognized as legal in the foreign state is also recognized as legal in California. If you need documentation for any reason, I'd suggest contacting the Consulate of India in San Francisco, which may be able to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 9:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in California