Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in California

how to appeaeal on a crimenal case if i lose my case i have publice attorney and i want to make sure that i know how to appeal if i go to prison

Asked on 7/18/13, 9:56 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

Go to law school, pass the bar exam, and practice law for 28 years like myself.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 1:15 am

James Goff James R. Goff, Attorney at Law

If you are represented by counsel you can request that he file your notice of appeal. He can file on your behalf and not be required to represent you on appeal. The Court of Appeal will appoint an attorney to represent you on appeal. The extent of your right to appeal depends on whether you are tried and convicted and sentenced or you enter a plea of guilty. After a guilty plea your right is limited to a sentence in excess to that agreed upon or some other defect in the sentencing but you cannot attack your conviction. If you appeal after trial your attack will focus on all issues. Once you are sentenced irregardless of what appointed trial counsel agrees to do on your behalf right a snivel sheet indicating your desire to appeal from your conviction and send it to the clerk of the trail court. Make sure to keep records of your request, dates and times. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 11:14 am
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Your public defender should file a notice of appeal for you before the deadline passes. If you can't afford an appellate attorney, one will be appointed to represent you.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 11:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in California