Legal Question in Business Law in California

Bounced Check

I am in New York and have done business with someone from California for export.Product was loaded in containers and shipped to port.The check was written on a California bank however the funds are not available.What is my recourse?

If I put the check through, it will bounce.

Thank You

Asked on 11/09/99, 12:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Bounced Check

Contact the police department in the city in which the check writer is located. Most police departments have a department that handles checks returned for insufficient funds etc. If they are unable to collect the money for the check they present the evidence to the district attorney's office for action.

The only draw back to this procedure is they usually only process checks that were written in the last 30 days. They are also sometime slow.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/99, 7:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California