Legal Question in Business Law in California

The court ordered me to appear for an Order to Show Cause why I, as plaintiff, have not

served the defendant in a superior court unlimited civil matter. Can I appear by Court Call (telephonic) due to my limited

physical mobility? This is in Southern California.

Asked on 3/06/22, 1:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

The Los Angeles county superior court has its own Court Connect system. Call the court clerk in late morning and arrange the call or video. With other courts, you might have to use other services. Check with the clerks and the court's website. Most courts permit remote appearances for routine matters. Also, don't forget to submit your declaration several days in advance explaining why you haven't yet served the defendant and filed the proof of service with the court.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/22, 2:41 pm
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You almost certainly will be allowed to appear by some remote method, but which method the court is currently using varies by court. Sonoma Co. is still on CourtCall for most if not all departments, but SF is Zoom and Alameda is BlueJeans, for example. Pretty much every county has an office that helps self-represented parties navigate their local system. They're the ones to ask. Their contact info should be readily available on the court's website.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/22, 9:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California