Legal Question in Business Law in California

I'm a doctor here in Los Angeles and I've recently been rejected $45, 000 from an insurance company that filed for bankruptcy! The same owner has since opened another insurance company and refuses to pay me the $45, 000 that he owes me.

My practice has suffered a larger loss because most of my patience that were under his company's plan were expected mothers, which meant I could just send them away even though I knew I wasn't going to get paid!

Is there anything I could do short of contacting the district attorney or the insurance board?

Asked on 8/09/13, 3:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

There is an element of "Don't believe me!" in your question. Medical doctors don't misspell "patients" and "expectant" nor write "been rejected $45,000."

However, just in case the question is somehow legitimate, here's my guess. You are confusing the insurance agent with the insurer. Independent insurance agents are like gas stations; they sell the stuff, they don't make it. If you have a claim against Chevron, you'd present it to the refining company, not Joe's Chevron on the corner of Fifth and Main.

If it is truly the risk-bearing insurer, and not just an agency, I recommend that you contact the California Department of Insurance. Their Web site is found at - but I'd suggest spending a little time to try and contact the proper person by telephone. The major insurance companies are subject to regulatory rules and review, and usually there are massive back-up plans in place to prevent losses to their insured parties due to bankruptcy or similar disasters........and if it is an agency or similar intermediary, I'd recommend trying to go up the chain of command to the true insurer.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/13, 3:40 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You're a "doctor" and you spell patients as patience? Expected mothers? Expected them to do what? Did you not have to submit a writing sample as part of the MCAT?

Read more
Answered on 8/10/13, 9:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California