Legal Question in Business Law in California

"Our non profit astronomy club has been offered land so we can have a place to set up telescopes for our members. We are prepared to pay annual up keep. What legal steps should we need to do/address going forward?"

Asked on 6/17/13, 1:51 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

For starters, obtain/provide a LOT more detailed information. "Offered land," in what fashion - a grant of ownership of the land? a lease of the land? an easement onto the land? a license to use the land (exclusive or non-exclusive), some other right or interest that gives you access? "Our non profit astronomy club," in what form - a corporation? an unincorporated association? governed how - member controlled? board controlled? "Non profit," of what kind - IRS recognized 501(c)(3) charitable organization? 501(c)(4) civic organization? 501(c(7) recreational organization? none of the above? IRS recognized? Not IRS recognized? Does the donor of whatever interest in the land you would be getting expect a tax deduction? Those are just for starters.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 2:19 pm
Christopher M. Brainard, Esq. C. M. Brainard & Associates - (310) 266-4115

Suggest that you get a preliminary title report on the property, that way you can see what you are getting exactly (approx. cost $120). I'd review the same with you and assist you with transfer with title as necessary fir nominal fees. Contact me for further insight and assistance.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 6:43 pm
John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Need more information. is your club a valid non profit corporation? Are you offered land to rent, buy, be donated etc. Hard to say what you should do without a lot more information.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 11:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California