Legal Question in Business Law in California

I am planning to start an Internet website company or sole proprietorship business. I am currently in the USA on H1-B visa. Can I start a business now ? or I need to wait till I have my green card ?

Asked on 9/16/13, 10:34 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Lapin, LLC

The short answer to your question is yes, you can create or start a business now. But the real answer of whether this violates the terms of your visa is another question and one that should be posed to an immigration professional.

While it is possible that you can set up your entity and have that entity sponsor you, it is a matter that requires some legal attention.

I think your next first step is to reach out to an immigration professional and get some sound advice. Once you are clear regards to the limits of what you can do, then you should contact a business lawyer and have a discussion regards to the best course of action.

If you would like a referral for a very good immigration lawyer please contact me anytime that is convenient and I would be happy to provide that for you.


Kind regards,



[email protected]

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 7:12 am

Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq. Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law

Contact an immigration professional in your area so you can give them every specific detail of your situation. In my opinion you can start a business but if it violates the terms of your visa then you could get into some trouble.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 10:07 am
Keith E. Cooper Keith E. Cooper, Esq.

This question is not a "business law" question. You should ask it in the category of "immigration law." There are restrictions on what you can and can't do under an H1B visa.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California