Legal Question in Business Law in California

I signed paperwork for storage in Los Angeles last year, and the organization where I signed it says that I must go to their office to retrieve it. I am in Hong Kong and I asked them to email, fax, or mail it to me, but they said they must confirm my identity. I offered to send them a notarized letter, to have them send the paperwork to the US Consulate here to have me retrieve it, etc. I think they are claiming I signed something I didn't actually sign, so I need to see it right away but I can't fly to LA from HK--I filed with the BBB and they haven't responded; should I go as far as filing a lawsuit?

Asked on 6/28/12, 7:57 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

I don't understand what you mean by "retrieve" the stored property. You are in Hong Kong and the property is stored in Los Angeles. How are you going to retrieve the property without going to Los Angeles? Also, what kind of a storage facility is this? Storage is a regulated business that must follow certain rules. A lawyer would need more fact-specific information in order to give you useful assistance. This would include seeing the storage contract and knowing what kind of storage is involved.

Read more
Answered on 6/28/12, 8:45 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I assume from your post that you are trying to get a copy of the paperwork that you signed. If you simply need paperwork, it shouldn't be too hard to appoint an attorney to get the paperwork for you. You could use an attorney in fact or an attorney at law.

Read more
Answered on 6/28/12, 8:57 pm
Justin Sobodash The Law Office of Justin Sobodash

From your question it is hard to determine whether you are merely trying to take the preliminary step of getting the document(s) which form the basis for any agreement, or whether your primary goal is to obtain stored property. More facts are needed. However, it is likely that whatever your objective, you should not undertake the expense of filing a lawsuit. You should probably begin by simply having an attorney send a demand letter advising the storage company that they are in breach of your contract and tortiously converting your property. That should get their attention in much more cost-efficient way.

PLEASE NOTE: The foregoing does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only. Legal advice must take into account facts and circumstances which are not identified in your question, and should be the result of a give-and-take conversation with an attorney. No attorney-client or other relationship is created by the undersigned responding to the above question.

I wish you the best in resolving this matter.

Read more
Answered on 6/28/12, 9:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California