Legal Question in Business Law in California


What type of lawyer represents a plaintiff against a moving and storage company that has lost, misplaced, or stolen our personal property? Could you please refer me to some of these lawyers that are in my area?



Asked on 10/08/02, 6:45 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: Help

If your complaint or claim arises out of intrastate transportation or storage of household goods within California, you should first consider contacting the California Public Utilities Commission. See their Web page at www.cpuc/ and look for the Consumer Guide.

Unless the value of the goods is very high, you are probably better off filing a claim under the provisions of your contract and PUC rules.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/02, 7:11 pm

Re: Help

Your contract with the moving company, the bill of lading, may and usually does limit their liability for loss and damage to a small figure (so much per pound) unless you choose to buy insurance for a higher amount. If the CPUC cannot help you, you should consider suing in small claims court.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/02, 10:55 pm
Khachik Akhkashian Diamond, Burt & AKhkashian, LLP

Re: Help

Our lawfirm recently litigated a matter exactly like yours wherein our client hired a moving company to transport household items from CA to WA.

The items damaged totaled roughly $30,000.00 and it was worth our clients time and money to litigate the matter.

You are usually stuck with the terms of the contract and the liquidated damages clause, but you may be able to make a claim for negligence to provide damages outside of the liquidated damages clause.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/02, 2:52 am
Karla Shippey Law Offices of Karla Shippey

Re: Help

You can find legal assistance through state and local (usually county) bar associations. Check out this website from the California State Bar.

You are seeking an attorney who works on issues related to contracts and property damages.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/02, 12:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California