Legal Question in Business Law in California

I was a volunteer employee for a non-profit corp. and was sexually assaulted, and sexually harassed By a paid female staff member. When I reported what had happened to the heads of our company, they transfered me to a different facility to investigate. I was ordered to not talk to anyone about what had happened and why I was transfered. The assault has caused me a lot of issues and I subsequently quit because the company would not call me back. And the female employee was still working at the facility. The company offered me money to go away and keep my mouth shut. What can I legally do ? I am not the only one who has made claims against this person there was 2 other employees who came forward another male volunteer and a paid female staff member. I did make a police report and signed an arrest warrant for a criminal charge. What remedy do I have under civil law.

Asked on 8/30/13, 6:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Glen Law Offices of Ben Glen, PC

You can make a claim against both the person who assaulted you and the company for which you worked, Your claim would be a "civil" claim, as opposed to a "criminal" claim made by the government . In your civil claim you would be entitled to compensation for your damages, which could include damages for assault and battery and, further, what you had to suffer and endure due to those egregious actions, such as humiliation, emotional distress and embarrassment, as well as punitive damages, as to both prospective defendants.

This type of conduct can not be tolerated in the work place and the law is on your side. The conduct is especially bad, since you were a volunteer! It is like a kick the the face for volunteering and the wrongdoers should be held accountable for their wrongful actions.

For further free advice and answers to your questions, call me until 10 PM, 7 days and nights a week, without obligation.

I hope I can be of help to you.

Righting wrongs for victims for over 26 years,

Kind regards,

Ben Glen, Attorney at Law

(925) 957-6732

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 8:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California