Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

Hello, I have a 2 1/2 year old Civil Rights case. I represented myself for the first 8 months, then had to hire an Attorney. I paid a $5,000 retainer, signed a continency contract. In early Feb, my Attorney requested additional funds to defend a Summary of Judgment. I refused, decided to represent myself. She informed me that I owe her $40,000, excused herself from my case. After defeating the summary of judgment, the judge has ordered us to mediation. My Attorney has never produced a bill. Am I obligated to pay her $40,000? Thanks, Walt

Asked on 9/11/14, 8:09 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

The written agreements would have to be reviewed, as well as the facts of the attorney's departure.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/14, 9:06 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Any such fee dispute would be resolve after the case is over, by applying to your local bar association for help, and then only if the old attorney files a timely 'lien' against your recovery. I find it hard to justify such payment demand without clear authority in your retainer agreement.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/14, 2:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California