Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

We were at an amusement park, my 8 year old cousin found a bracelet on the ground and put it on. 2 hours later, an "undercover loss prevention agent" took him to the office and accused him of stealing the bracelet from one of the stores. I saw that bracelet on my cousins hand about 30 min before the loss prevention agent supposedly saw him take the item from the store. They kept my cousin in their office for about an hour and didn't show any proof. I want to at least see a video of my cousin entering their store without the bracelet on his hand. Because I'm pretty sure he already had it on his wrist. They took pictures of him and made him sign some form. They also suspended him from all of their parks for 2 years. Is there anything at all that we can do?

Asked on 6/09/13, 2:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

The 'form' was a confession to the crime. You should have asked your questions before he did that. Now, if the park files criminal charges, as many places do after such 'confessions' are obtained, and he is charged with a crime in court, he will get to defend the charges with whatever admissible evidence there is to contradict his confession, and he could file evidence suppression motions regarding the confession. Then, if serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/13, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California