Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

wedding ceremonies

Can a Postmaster from the United States Postal Service perform wedding ceremonies?

Asked on 10/07/07, 6:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: wedding ceremonies

In California, no. Here's what the Family Code section 400 states:

Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of the age of 18 years or older:

(a) A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.

(b) A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.

(c) A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.

(d) Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States:

(1) A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.

(2) A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.

(3) A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.

(4) A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.

(e) A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.

Read more
Answered on 10/07/07, 7:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California