Legal Question in Technology Law in California

This may sound dumb but, I have a Facebook page and a "fan" commented on a picture bashing my page. I turned his comment into a picture to show my other fans what he said, he is now threatening to call the police in my hometown if I don't take the picture down. Can the cops do anything about this?

Asked on 2/28/13, 9:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

First, I doubt this matter is suitable for police attention. However, if what is being displayed to the public amounts to a threat to commit a crime, my answer would be different. As a general matter, I'm inclined to think your local police will tell the individual that it's outside their duties and that "It's a civil matter" which is kind of a generalized police way of telling complaining citizens that they're too busy trying to catch muderers, burglars, robbers and so forth. Your "fan" might, however, decide to talk to a lawyer instead of the cops if he gets the notion that he is being defamed.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/13, 9:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in California