Legal Question in Construction Law in California

Hired a contractor for a remodel, ac installation and room addition. Stated work would take 2-4 months. It's been 2 years later and work is not complete. No workers have done work besides his AC subcontractor for the last 6 months. Also found out the AC subcontractor was unlicensed and a permit was not pulled. Contractor's license has also been suspended for last 6 months. He was paid in full over 8 months ago. Can I sue my contractor for disgorgement if his contractor's license is suspended and the work on contract is not complete?

Asked on 8/28/17, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Absolutely you can sue for that, not to mention that taking payment ahead of the value of work completed is highly illegal. Unfortunately if the contractor is that irresponsible, and suspended, it most likely means they're broke too. So you may have a very hard time collecting.

Read more
Answered on 8/28/17, 3:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California