Legal Question in Construction Law in California

We hired a painter to paint the exterior of our house for $4500.00, and we gave the painter $2000.00 up front. the painter power washes our house, and we never saw him again. Is this a criminal action, or a civil action. What can we do.

Asked on 10/27/14, 9:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Report them to the Contractors State License Board whether they are licensed or not. If they ARE licensed, make a claim against their contractor's license bond. If not, file a small claims court case against them.

And in the future NEVER give any kind of home improvement contractor more than 10% or $500, whichever is less as a down payment. Anything more than that is illegal.

Read more
Answered on 10/28/14, 3:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California