Legal Question in Construction Law in California

My landscaper walked out of job in the final face what should i do? He has been bring change of orders with all kinds of bills I did not agree. What should I do?

Asked on 11/18/15, 12:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeannette Darrow Jeannette C.C. Darrow, Attorney at Law

It would be wise to contact an attorney well-versed in construction cases of this nature, so that she can analyze your claims against the contractor (and potential claims by the landscaper against you for failure to pay). In many of these cases, it can be determined that the contractor was working without a license or improperly working without workers' compensation, which would deem the contractor unlicensed. In either of those situations, the landscaper would not be entitled to collect any payment from you, and you could even be entitled to reimbursement of payments you've already made. An attorney can also advise you about options for making a claim against the contractor's license bond and/or to the Contractors State License Board.

Laws regarding contractors (and particularly contractors who are doing work for homeowners) are very specific, and not every attorney is familiar with this area of law.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/15, 1:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California