Legal Question in Construction Law in California

non-payment for contract work

I am a licensed general contractor. I did approximately $20,000 worth of work, labor and materials, for a customer two years ago. We did not get a signed contract; she withheld the final payment of approximately $5,000. She requested all of the work I performed, but refused to pay me the remaining amount due. What are my rights and how might I get my money?

Asked on 10/08/08, 9:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Moschopoulos The Law Office of George Moschopoulos

Re: non-payment for contract work

If your contract was oral, you have a two year statute of limitations in which to bring suit. Since the job is two years old, you can see time is of the essence. Whether your claim is barred will depend in part on when the last payment was received. However, since the only amount owed is $5,000, you are looking at a small claims matter. This is a rather informal proceeding so you may have some luck there. In short, bring a small claims action ASAP against the owner for breach of contract. You don't need a lawyer for this so you can pursue this on your own.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/09/08, 12:03 am

James Obecian law office san diego

Re: non-payment for contract work

You need to file suit. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 10/11/08, 4:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California