Legal Question in Construction Law in California

I have a Starbucks right next to my apartment building. They have been doing construction work 24 hours a day. It is loud at night and sleep depriving. Local sheriffs do not respond to the noise complaint. What should I do?

Asked on 8/04/15, 8:23 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Noise ordinances are local ....... I recommend going to City Hall or the county building to inquire as to what the ordinance in your area says. Most such ordinances would prohibit certain levels of noise during nighttime hours. Once you are sure of what the ordinance says and that it is being violated, you are in a stronger position to demand enforcement. I know from experience that police and sheriffs are reluctant to devote scarce manpower to enforcement of things like noise ordinances. I've had them say more than once, "We are too busy catching murderers and burglars." I suppose you could also talk to a local lawyer about bringing a civil action yourself.

Read more
Answered on 8/04/15, 8:30 pm
Nicholas Spirtos Law Offices of Nicholas B. Spirtos

Check with the city. Most cities only allow construction work during specified hours - 7 am to 7 pm is common. If they are doing work at other times, that could be a violation of their permit. The police probably won't do anything about this. Your best option is to try and get the city to do something.

Read more
Answered on 8/05/15, 9:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California