Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

So i Bought a used car and the owner via text assured me it was already smogged and registered. Upon Recieving the vehicle I went to the dmv to get it put in my name when i got there they said it hasnt been smogged since june of last year or 06/12.

The next day upon attempting to drive it to work stuff went bad . Turns out the wrong spark plugs we're in it causing that and the cat to go bad after this the list kept going engine coils and several other repairs we're needed just to get it in driving condition. About 1500 dollars later the car can be driven I take it to pass smog and the check engine light comes on I can no longer afford repairs and researched in the dmv and it says that the owner is required to smog it.

I attempted to contact him and after 5 days of him saying let me see what i can do he just said it's my problem now.

1.If i sue him in small claims court will i get my money back?

2. Is there a way i can get additional money because of this car being my mode of transportation i was late to work several times

3. How would i get my money back

Asked on 10/24/13, 5:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

It is his problems the owner is required one knows or can tell you if you will win... I doubt you will recover for being late for work.. If you win you will have an enforceable judgment to get your money back

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 9:55 pm

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

For some reason, Mr. Green's first sentence was cut off. The seller is required to smog the vehicle before title can be transferred. Thus, the sale can be declared void. It's true that you probably would receive a judgment in your favor, but trying to collect it is another hassle. When the time comes, you might refer to some online or published self-help materials to assist in that process.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 11:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California