Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

I have a case that's about to go to arbitration over dog training. The dog trainer made verbal agreements that she would train my dog and have it certified as a service dog and obedience training. I have former employees that will be my witness that she made promises. The trainer tried to sue me in small claims but it was dismissed without prejudice because per her own contract all disputes to be handled in arbitration. She hired a collection company to collect and she has possibly dinged my credit. One, do I have a legal stand against her for harassment if she has dinged my credit and for sending a collection company after me and two, with witnesses will the verbal agreement stand. We stopped paying her when she stopped working with us.

Asked on 7/10/13, 10:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

First if you are going to arbitration you should hire an attorney. Arbitration is much more formal than small claims court, you are entitled to do discovery as a general rule and all the rules of evidence apply. In addition they are special rules only appl9icable to arbitration. You may feel free to call my office at 818 345-0123.

Did she ding your credit? Did you object and advise the collection agency of the dispute. These and other facts are necessary to address the issues you raised. I would focus my attention on the arbitration. If you win everything should work itself out.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 1:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California