Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Hotel reception contract change

I signed a wedding reception contract w/ Hotel A to take place in 2006 for amount of ~$11K. I gave also a deposit at signature. Recently New owner Hotel B (change of name) bought Hotel A along w/ all reception contracts. I've been informed by new Management of Hotel B that my negotiated contract price was too low because their food service will be of upper quality compared to previous Hotel A.

And they will remove one item out of my dinner reception menu. (estimated cost ~$800).

Questions : 1) Can the new owner do that ?

2) What are my options or answers to them please ?


Asked on 12/30/05, 12:36 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

Re: Hotel reception contract change

In a nutshell, under the basic facts given, a new property/business owner takes over subject to the existing agreements already in place, i.e. your wedding reception contract. In this case, the new owner may NOT change the terms of the existing agreement with you since it more or less steps in the shoes of the previous owner in matters such as this. You should retain an attorney to review your existing contract and/or send a very powerful legal letter to the new owners regarding your rights and its obligations under the circumstances, or face court action. For a free phone consultation, contact us directly.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/05, 11:08 pm

Phillip Cooke Law offices of Phillip A. cooke

Re: Hotel reception contract change

You should show your written contract to an attorney and ask the questions you have.

Generally, a contract between two parties cannot be unilaterally changed.

If the new owner offers to improve the quality of the food, for an increased fee, that is an option you can consider. If the owner refuses to honor the contract as agreed, you need to read the contract to see what your agreed alternatives are and if you have questions, discuss them with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/05, 6:48 pm
Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

Re: Hotel reception contract change

It is really impossible to answer your question without reviewing the contract. Wedding plans change so much that many vendors often draft VERY flexible contracts to might allow for this type of unilateral change. That is why you should take the contract to a local attorney to determine your specific rights.

Also, the nature of the purchase agreement with the new hotel owner might have some impact on whether they are obligated to honor any deals made by the previous owner. Mention that to your attorney as well to see if this factors into your case.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/05, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California