Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

If under pressure and being told I would look bad to the court if I waited to respond by my attorney.I agreed verbally to a settlement, But after reading the settlement, refused to sign it. What course of action do I have to ask for something else. I have been told that all legal fees would be my responsibility.

Asked on 9/07/21, 5:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Schneider, Holtz & Hutchison

You haven't provided enough detail to give you a very accurate answer, but generally if you agreed to a settlement in court, and especially if that settlement was put on the record by a court reporter, you are bound by it. It forms a new contract in place of whatever you were suing about. If you don't abide by it, you are in breach of contract. If it was put on the record by the judge and a court reporter, the other side would not even have to sue for breach of the agreement. They could just go into court and have the agreement turned into a judgment directly.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/21, 9:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California