Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Can I sue someone for poor workmanship based on just a license plate and phone number? I was solicited for dent repair in a public parking lot. The guy handed out a business card belonging to the guy he works for. I declined, but eventually reluctantly agreed to the service. On-site repair in the parking lot. I was promised dent repair and paint touch up on various areas of my vehicle. I was told to just lock up my vehicle and have him do the work. Pay upon completion. I went off shopping for about an hour and returned to my vehicle. It was covered heavily in wax when I returned. The guy said to just wash the vehicle the next day. Although, questionable of his work, I paid him. I washed my car the next day and saw the horror of his work. Very bad. I called and texted the guy several times for a refund, but he keeps giving me excuses and stalling for time. Sometimes he ignores my calls and turns off his phone. What can I do to get my money back? I've been trying to settle this out of court, but this guy keeps hiding. I have his phone number and license plate, plus everything was caught on surveillance cameras.

Asked on 10/06/13, 2:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

There is a Latin phrase caveat emptor or let the buyer beware...You can sue the guy on the business card, assuming he really exists and assuming he really has an employee that does thus stuff. Then you have to find an address to sue them, you have to have all the evidence and go to court. You can file this in small claims.

Once you get to court, you'll have to explain to a judge what you think workmanship ought to be for the money you paid, with a guy working out of a trunk in a WalMart ...

For all the hassle you might just consider this tuition payment to the School of Hard Knocks

Read more
Answered on 10/06/13, 4:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California