Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I am 8,500.00 in credit card debt. I only get 743.00 in SS. I can't afford to file bankruptcy. I am 67. what should I do.

Asked on 10/30/17, 12:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barak Berlin Law Offices of Barak Berlin

If you do not have any other assets (house with equity, expensive car, jewelry, etc), you are what is called "judgment proof". That essentially means you have nothing the credit card company can come after you for. You just need to be sure you only have money from social security in your bank account. This money is completely exempt from the credit card company even if they get a court judgment against you.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/17, 1:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California