Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Buy Sell Agreement

We are a corporation. Sold services and product to a client. He says he's going to pay but is giving us the runaround. He owes $13.6K. Everything is documented. Should we get an attorney or go it alone?

Asked on 9/17/08, 12:12 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: Buy Sell Agreement

Please let me know if I can help.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/08, 10:12 pm
Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

Re: Buy Sell Agreement

A corporation can only represent itself in small claims court. In all other courts, corporations using the California court system must have an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/08, 12:28 pm
David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Re: Buy Sell Agreement

Mr. Starrett is correct - you must retain an attorney unless you are willing to limit your recovery to $7,500 and go to small claims court. I'd suggest a consultation with a local attorney to see if its worth pursuing this individual. You may have no attorneys' fee clause in your contract, the defendant may be insolvent - there are many factors to evaluate before filing the suit and spending money.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/08, 12:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California