Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

collection agency

I worte a check that did not clear in 2003. A collection agency called CCA, called me yesterday and told my mom that they know where I work and will have me arrested if I dont pay $183 by friday. Can they do this?

Asked on 4/12/07, 3:40 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Stein Law Offices of Jonathan G. Stein

Re: collection agency

No. This is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You need to talk to an experienced consumer law attorney. You can find one at and read more about this topic at my blog,

Read more
Answered on 4/12/07, 3:43 pm
Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

Re: collection agency

While bouncing checks can be prosecuting as crimes, they are clearly bluffing. This sounds like a a violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You should consult a local consumer law attorney. If you have trouble finding one in your area, call the lawyer referral service of your local county bar association.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/07, 3:47 pm
Bryan Becker Stutz Artiano Shinoff & Holtz

Re: collection agency

This appears to be a violation of federal and state law. A violation such as this could result in an award to you of up to $1000 under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. My office represents individuals in circumstances as this at no cost to the consumer. Feel free to contact me to discuss via email or phone.

Yours truly,

Bryan Becker


[email protected]

Member, National Association of Consumer Advocates

Read more
Answered on 4/12/07, 3:57 pm
Joel Selik

Re: collection agency

No they cant and cannot say it either.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/07, 3:58 pm
Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: collection agency

You may have a claim against the collection agency under the Fair Debt Collection Act. We need to review your paperwork including any letters that you received. If you need additional help, please call our office.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/07, 8:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California