Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

The company I was an independent contractor for has filed chapter 11 how do I get the money owed to me?

Asked on 11/07/13, 9:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm

You need to file a claim for the money owed. You may be able to move your claim up in importance by claiming you are owed wages. You should have received a claim form from the bankruptcy court.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 10:17 am

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Mr. Jordan is correct in part. He is right that you should have been listed as a creditor of the bankrupt company and received a mailing from the court listing what THEY say your claim is. If you disagree they may invite claims, if there are expected to be assets to be distributed. He is also right that you can move your claim up in priority by making it a wage claim. Unfortunately as an independent contractor you will not be scheduled as a wage claimant. You may be entitled to make a wage claim, but you will have to prove you were actually an employee, illegally paid as a contractor. You should contact a creditors rights bankruptcy attorney for help.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 1:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California