Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Old debt in California

Daughther charged $2000 16 years ago while on drugs. Went to jail and while in jail loan co sued her. Now debt is $10,000. She has no job and has 3 children. Any help at all for this?

Asked on 9/10/08, 11:02 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Re: Old debt in California

If she cannot pay the debt, she needs to consult with a bankruptcy attorney or negotiate with the lender to reach an accomodation that will allow her to stay out of bankruptcy. With no job, its not likely she can settle the matter as they will demand payment.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/08, 12:17 pm
Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: Old debt in California

If she wants to do a bankruptcy, she might contact me.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/08, 2:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California