Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

debt and collections law

Three of the residents in a sober living home that I manage, I don't own, were served a Notice of Execution{money judgement)-Notice of Levy. I am the judgement debtor. What can I file to stop the landlords money from being garnished?

Asked on 5/20/09, 3:09 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Mccoy Law Office Of Robert McCoy

Re: debt and collections law

You could file for bankruptcy which would solve the issue of you being a debtor once and for all, and would stop all collections, including the garnishments. Without a bankruptcy, it is hard to say whether you would have standing to bring a motion in court to stop the garnishments, as that motion may be the sole right of the landlord.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/09, 3:38 pm


Re: debt and collections law

The levy must be challenged and countered with a action for unfair credit practices. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/09, 5:11 pm
Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: debt and collections law

Your attorney should contact the judgment creditor's attorney and point out these facts along with the potential that the judgment creditor could become liable to you for unfair debt collection practices and tortious interference with contractual relationships.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/09, 5:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California