Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Debt and Loans

In Sept. 2007 my best friend asked me for a financial loan because I just inherited a considerable amount of money from mother's death. I agreed to drive to California (where she lives) from Utah (where I live) and loan her money to put in her overdrawn accounts, and take her shopping at IKEA, grocery stores etc. I paid IKEA with my bankcard, and it was delivered to her apt. Total bill was 9800.00 dollars, and now she claims it was a gift. She verbally agreed to pay 245.00 monthly but has paid only 100.00 in a year. I took a friend of mine to CA with me, and she was witness to the verball agreement of the money as a loan, and witness to every conversation my other friend and I had in regards to the money. She is a legal adult also. What is my recourse now that she is refusing to pay me back? Small claims court?Get an attorney? I have ALL of the receipts of everything she charged on my card, and a witness to her stating it was a loan that she would pay back. She still lives in CA, and I still in Utah. I need this money as I am disabled, but she is ignoring all my calls and letters. Thank you for ALL of your help and advice in this matter!!!!!

Asked on 11/23/08, 4:43 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

Re: Debt and Loans

Having an attorney might help.



No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. You may not rely in any way on this communication, and nothing herein constitutes legal advice nor legal opinion. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not obtain an attorney immediately.

Read more
Answered on 11/23/08, 6:54 pm
Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: Debt and Loans

There's no getting around it, you're going to have to hire one of us lawyers and sue her, better sooner than later. Watch out for legal time limits!

I often handle matters such as these for out-of-state clients for a reasonable fixed fee.

Read more
Answered on 11/23/08, 7:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California