Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Filing a False Document - Tampering with Court Records

A judgment debtor forged and filed a fraudulent Satisfaction of Judgment on a case of mine. He paid the judgment in full, filed the Satisfaction and then stopped payment on the draft all in the same day.

I've done extensive research to try and find a civil remedy for this issue without success. Does anyone know of any case law addressing this problem?

Motion to Set Aside the Satisfaction is schedule to be heard Monday, February 7, 2005.

Thanks for any feedback. I'm looking for something that would give me ground to ask for supplementary damages at the hearing.

R.W.--name removed--

Asked on 2/06/05, 12:07 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: Filing a False Document - Tampering with Court Records

If you motion did not request a sanction or remedy, you cannot get one on 2/7. If property was transferred, you would probably have to file a new lawsuit against him or try for a remedy in a subsequent motion. Please call me if you have any other questions.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/05, 12:12 pm

Joel Selik

Re: Filing a False Document - Tampering with Court Records

I do not have a stat or case, off hand, but court has ineherint authority and discretion, it should not be a problem to win a motion and have a court set aside the satisfaction, You might also have to sue the adverse (or be able to) for fraud.


JOEL SELIK Attorney at Law

800-894-2889 760-479-1515 702-243-1930

Licensed to Practice Law in California and Nevada Only CA Licensed Real Estate Broker

CONCENTRATING IN LITIGATION: REAL ESTATE, ELDER ABUSE, APPEALS, AND COLLECTIONS Personal Injury, Contracts, Tax Matters, Business, Malpractice, Appeals, Elder Neglect/Abuse/Nursing Home Malpractice Real Estate, and Other Legal Matters

This is just general information. No representations are made and no attorney client relationship is established by this communication. In most matters there are strict time limitations within which actions may be taken or your rights will be compromised. We are not taking any action on your matter and will not be considered your attorney or tax representative until both you and we have signed a fee agreement.

We, therefore will take no action on your behalf unless a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you do not retain SELIKLAW, you should immediately seek the services of another attorney or other advisor.

If you send a lawyer or law firm email, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via email. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/05, 5:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California