Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Good Morning,

I received an email from so called Attorney Mr. Johnson from Dexter Law In Washington DC in regards to a case against me for an outstanding balance on a loan I requested last year and that a warrant for my arrest will be issued if not resolved. I called the loan office directly they advise me that my account went into collections and they transfer me to the collection agency were I resolved this matter and made a payment directly to the collection agency. I try calling this attorney but the number provided is a cell phone and no one ever answers , I email him and advise this attorney I had already resolved this with the collection agency and he advise I needed to make that payment to the court department I asked what court did I have to make the payment to and he advise I had to make it through an EFT mode through Western Union and advise once I was there to call and he will provide me with an officer name so I can make the payment to him. I have never heard before usually if we have to pay anything to court we go directly to a court department and pay. So I am very worried, stress over this and I do not trust making any payments this way. I want to know if you think this is really a legal matter against me or this is just someone who hacked in my email trying to get money from me. Below is a partial part of the email I cant attached the actual letter. Please advise. thank you.

From: "Mr.Johnson"

Date: September 2, 2017 at 9:37:22 AM PDT

To: [email protected]

Subject: Attorney_Mr.Johnson_09/02/2017

Reply-To: [email protected]

Good Morning, Ana Arellano 609399518

Case Number:-CA-65883

This is to inform you that before we take any further action against you please read the the notice which we attached.

Thank You.

Asked on 9/08/17, 9:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barak Berlin Law Offices of Barak Berlin

This sounds like a scam. There are no longer any "debtor prisons" in California. If you receive anything from them in the mail, contact an attorney. I recommend checking for a consumer law attorney who will know this area of law.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/17, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California