Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California


I received a wage garnishment from a third party vendor at my work today. I attempted to call the creditor but unfortunately they were not able to help me without first talking to their "lawyer". This debt collector is Portfolio recovery associates which I assume bought mydebt for pennies . This debt is over 7years old. What are my options?

Any advice is appreciated


Asked on 9/13/13, 4:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

You need to go to the court where the judgment was entered and research it. In California, judgments are valid and can be renewed for more than ten years if it is renewed prior to the expiration of then years.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 4:59 pm

Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq. Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law

Like the attorney before me suggested, see if the debt was renewed since the original judgement was entered.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 10:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California