Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California


My father has a very common name and he was charged with $7000 in credit. However, we know this isn't him because the social security number is wrong and he never applied for any credit cards. Now a law firm keeps sending us notices and threatening that we have to pay the money or else they will put a lien on our house and my parents' paychecks. When we call the law firm, the person was very hostile and kept saying that we need to pay the money, even if it isn't my father. I was wondering what we are supposed to do now?

Asked on 6/17/13, 8:19 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

Make them follow Fair Debt collection practices Act... They cannot threaten, they must prove debt is his... Suggest you get an attorney. Many of us here are very reasonable and worth the cost fr the peace of mind...m

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 9:21 pm

Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm

I agree. A stern letter from an attorney will stop the harassment and may make the collection agency look for the right person.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 8:59 am
John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You need legal representation. If you are looking too hire an attorney feel free to call my office at 818 345-0123. We should be able to help for a reasonable fee

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 11:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California