Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Invalid Debt

I've been living at this address for

about 4 years now, and today in

mail I got a message from VERIZON

saying that the resident before me

owe them $466.77, and it looks like

they do not know that I live here

now. What should I do? I live in


Asked on 3/06/09, 8:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Re: Invalid Debt

I have to agree with attorney Swigart. There is no need to worry on your part, as the phone company cannot force you to pay the prior tenant's bill. There is a wrinkle to this, however, as I have seen phone companies, cable companies and other utility providers refuse to provide service to a property where there is an upaid bill. If you have been living there for four years, and you have your own phone account in your own name, simply notify the provider in writing that its not you bill, and that the person in question hasn't lived at that address for at least 4 years. Good luck.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/09, 11:57 am

Joshua Swigart Hyde & Swigart

Re: Invalid Debt

I would explain to them that the debt is not yours but you predecessor. If they continue to attempt to collect an invalid debt after knowledge of such, there are remedies.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/09, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California