Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I had a payday loan serve me back in 2011/12 for repayment. I had already paid the lawyer $100 and wrote correspondence to the Superior Court to let them know that (its on their file). The complaint and case was disposed with disposition of default judgement by Court. It also stated THE COURT ENTERS JUDGMENT ON THE COMPLAINT FOR QUICKCLICK LOANS, LLC IN THE AMOUNT OF 495.30 PRINCIPAL, 0.00 PUNITIVE DAMAGES, 0.00 PREJUDGMENT COSTS AND 0.00 ATTORNEY FEES

The only reason I know that is I looked up my information on the court website. I never again heard from the lawyer or the payday loan company (who refers me to their lawyer) to send payment. on my credit report it is listed as "not settled."

Since it has been 4 years, how do I go about getting it settled or off of my credit report? OR - do I not do anything since I was never contacted again by their lawyer?

Asked on 3/22/16, 2:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Four years is irrelevant except for the fact that roughly $200 in interest has now accumulated on it. The zero interest in the judgment was only for BEFORE the judgment was entered. Once it was entered 10% interest started accumulating. My guess is that you think four years matters because there is a four year statute of limitations on any kind of contract action. But a statute of limitations only creates a deadline for FILING the lawsuit in the first place. A judgment is good for ten years and can be renewed for additional ten year periods indefinitely until paid. So the only way to get it off your credit is to pay it.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/16, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California