Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

A phone company charged me for services that I never fully recieved. They told me that the bill would be taken care of and then went bankrupt and sold that bill into collections. It is almost ten years later and I cannot purchase a home because of this 'debt.' What can I do? The collection company is asking for over four times the original bill that I never even had to pay.

Asked on 4/26/13, 4:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm

The statute of limitations to initiate a lawsuit is 4 years. Based on what you have provided, it does not sounds as a lawsuit was filed or a judgment obtained. Therefore, the next time they call, tell the statute of limitations has run and that you do not owe them anything. Then, contact the credit reporting agencies and challenge the debt. They should investigate the debt and, if everything is in your favor, the debt removed from the credit history.

If they continue to harass you, you can sue them for violations of federal and state fair debt collection practices acts.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 5:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California