Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Post employment company credit card

I recently received a letter from my former employer telling me that I owe them money on a corporate credit card for charges that were made nearly 2 months after I quit. The letter states ''Despite your employment with xxx ending on this date, it has come to our attention that you have used the company credit card for personal use. As you know xxx issued this card for business use only and any use should have been discontinued at the time of your departure from xxx. We view this intentional expenditure of corporate monies for personal use very seriously. '' It goes on stating that I need to send them a cashiers check for the amount of these charges. I have proof that I no longer lived in the state where these charges were made. They told me they will investigate further but still sound like they're expecting me to pay. Can I take legal action against them if they try to come after me over this?

Asked on 3/11/08, 7:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: Post employment company credit card

Assuming you did not make the charges, then you can defend yourself if they should sue you. You didn't state that you didn't make the charges. Charges can be incurred on the Internet and have out-of-state addresses.

Depending on when the charges were paid, there's a possibility that the statute of limitation might have run on the debt.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/08, 10:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California