Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I recently found out that my cell phone bill is not in my name. When I opened this account I provided my Military I.D., social security number, driver's license and address. During a recent military investigation to upgrade my security clearance I found out that I was never affiliated with having this cell phone service. I also pulled my credit report and it is not on my report as an open account. What can I do to receive compensation? I have been paying this bill for 6 years and someone else is getting credit for it.

Asked on 6/11/13, 9:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

There really is no such thing as getting credit for it. You would only get compensation if you are damaged and it is difficult to see how one phone bill not in your name would damage you. You received a bill every month, how would you not know after six years that it wasnot in your name... Even if you could sue, most courts would probably say you knew or should have known and should have corrected it six years ago and you would never see anything like what you suggest... Sorry

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 9:22 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

I am missing something here. The bill is not in your name, was it not mailed to you? was your name not on it? Could this be a joint account? Whose name is the bill in and what is that persons relationship to you?Really need more facts.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California