Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I just recieved my credit report and noticed that there is two junk debt buyers on there for what i believe to be "expired" debts. but the original creditor is no longer listed on the credit report? what to do?

Asked on 2/21/13, 7:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alex Rad The Law Office of Alex Rad

If you discharged the debts in bankruptcy, you need to write a letter to the credit reporting agencies and the collection agencies, explaining why the debt should no longer show up (referencing the debt and the bankruptcy case number), and asking them to correct it.

Keep a copy for yourself. "Certified mail, return receipt requested" is the better mailing option.

Give them 90 days, and if it's still there, repeat the above and give them another 90 days. If still not resolved, contact an attorney to take legal action against them.

Many attorneys may represent you on contingency without charging any retainer.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/13, 10:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California