Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

How do I remove myself from a car loan I co-signed for my ex-girlfriend? I told her to have anyone else co-sign for her but she never complied. She won't return my calls and has not removed me from the car loan.

Asked on 3/02/13, 10:58 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jacob Kiani Law Office of Jacob I. Kiani

It would most likely be difficult to do. I would need to know more facts though, such as what the agreement was between you and your girlfriend, whether it was written or oral, etc.

Read more
Answered on 3/02/13, 11:09 pm

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

Being a co-signer is a contract... You would need to basically redo the contract. As my colleague has already mentioned this would be hard to do... Its not that easy to remove you and add someone else. She would in all reality be refinancing the car...

Read more
Answered on 3/03/13, 5:36 am
Joel Selik

The loan company would not allow unless there was someone financially responsible to take over, and even then it would be difficult. Your ex would have to get a new loan and payoff this loan.

Read more
Answered on 3/03/13, 7:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California