Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

What to do when served papers that state I’m being sued? I co-signed for a car when I was 19 and the payments weren’t made. The car was repossessed only a few months later and the bank says I owe $17,000. What should I do?

Asked on 4/28/20, 6:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robin Mashal Century City Law Group, APC

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

If you have been served with Summons and Complaint, you have 30 days to file a responsive pleading to avoid entry of default against you. If you are not familiar with the pertinent area of law and procedure, you should retain a competent attorney to represent you in your defense. Your attorney can assist you in determining whether the complaint should be objected to or answered. Your attorney will also assist in determining the validity of plaintiff's claim, and what affirmative defenses you may assert against it. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/20, 6:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California