Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

stop payment

I was served papers that I need to address the court reguarding 2 checks that I stop payments on for a 1000.00

each. Post dated checks that I wrote a car dealership what can I do? Can they garnish my wages?

Asked on 1/20/04, 9:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sheldon G. Bardach Law Offices of Sheldon G. Bardach

Re: stop payment

It is possible that your debtor did get a writ of attachment, and is tying up your accounts on that basis. You would, of course, have been given notice of such a procedure, which includes a hearing. Otherwise, he would have to get a judgment and have a writ of execution issued, before he could execute on the funds in your accounts. I hope this gives you some orientation.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/04, 2:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California