Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Student Loan Repayment

My mother-in-law took out a PLUS loan for her daughter some years ago (the loan is in my mother in law's name and her daughter did not co-sign). Her daughter began repayment two years ago but recently stopped paying the loan because she wishes to cut ties with her family. I realize that my m.i.l. is legally responsible for the debt, but does she have civil recourse? Could she obtain a judgement against her daughter to force her to take responsibility for the debt? The loan is for $28k and my mother in law is of limited means. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Asked on 2/12/04, 6:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: Student Loan Repayment

An action for contribution and indemnity can be filed. Please contact our office for review of your documentation and consultation.

Read more
Answered on 2/12/04, 7:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California