Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

If I am suing for for example 1 cent in small claims court, how much can they counter sue me for.

Asked on 4/28/13, 12:01 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik


Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 12:07 pm

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

They can countersue for the jurisdictional limit of the court. For individuals, that can be as much as $10,000.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 12:09 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

The previous answers are only correct if they CHOOSE to limit themselves to $10,000. They can also sue for more and have the case moved to regular Superior Court.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 12:16 pm
Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

And why would you only sue for one cent? Makes no sense - pardon the pun

Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 1:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California