Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I have a 4 year old warrant for possession of a controlled substance and prostitution for san Bernardino county i've been convicted but I didn't go to the class I was supposed to go to. I want to know if I will be detained or can I have a lawyer go in for me and get reinstated for those classes.

Asked on 9/09/13, 6:38 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

If it's a felony case, the odds are that you'll have to appear. Whether you will be taken in or given a second chance without going into custody depends on a few things....

What have you been doing with your life for the past 4 years? Have you gone through rehab, AA/NA classes that you can verify? Have you picked up any other cases? Are you working, stable, sober, etc.?

You should be talking face to face with an attorney about the specifics of your case.

Read more
Answered on 9/10/13, 1:28 pm

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

To handle a warrant, you MUST turn yourself in to the issuing court. On felony cases the defend MUST personally appear at every court appearance, a lawyer can not do so without you.

Since you were already convicted, and you violated court orders for 'classes', you now face potential prison/jail and fines, so handle it right. You’ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and seek bail reduction or OR release. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain on the ‘Failure to Appear’ charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated.

Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 1:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California