Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

In american justice system if i commit murder, can the victim's heir or heirs forgive me and have the case against me withdrawn?

Asked on 9/16/13, 6:20 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach


Read more
Answered on 9/16/13, 7:10 am

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

No. Criminal cases are brought by the government, not by the victim or the victim's family. The government acts on behalf of the People generally, not just those who were affected by a particular crime. Victims and their relatives do not get to decide whether or how the cases are brought, tried, dismissed, etc.

The prosecutor usually want to know how the victims and their families feel. Sometimes those feelings will influence the prosecutor's decisions. But I cannot imagine a prosecutor dismissing a murder charge because the victim's family wants her to.

Read more
Answered on 9/16/13, 10:36 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless


If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 12:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California