Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

what can i do for have an arrest warrant issued do to complaint of probation

Asked on 5/13/13, 2:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present – which is safer and avoids immediately being taken into custody. You’ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and seek bail reduction or OR release. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain on any ‘Failure to Appear’ charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. While this isn't a 'capital case', you now face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California